Blog Update II

Many of my readers seem to have enjoyed my little mountaineering stories, which, in fact, had more to do with mountaineers – with me, the people I met at Bezengi and our interactions – than mountaineering as a sport. After all, I am more of a writer (hopefully) and student of human characters and moods than a sportswoman.

As my readers might remember from the previous Blog Update about the Caucasus trip, I was at Bezengi mountaineering camp for a reason, which was to get the fitness and training to climb a mountain elsewhere. I can now reveal that ‘elsewhere’ is the Himalayas in Nepal and that the mountain is called Manaslu. It is the 8th highest mountain in the world and, statistically, the 4th deadliest of the 14 ‘eight-thousanders’ (mountains of over 8000 metres/ 26,247 feet in altitude). To my knowledge, no Russian woman has ever successfully climbed it before. I would appreciate it if my readers could let me know if they’d like to read about that adventure of mine, too.

The Manaslu expedition, however, is not the sole purpose of my upcoming trip to Kathmandu: I hope to stay in the capital of Nepal after the climbing is over and take a few courses in Buddhist Studies and Himalayan languages – Tibetan and Nepali – at the local university. I have yet to make quite a few arrangements if my plan is to work and, therefore, expect to be busy in the course of the next ten days or so; I fear, I won’t have much time to write. Bear with me and, yet again, wish me luck as I will require a lot of it!

4 thoughts on “Blog Update II

  1. I don’t know about your other readers…but I am looking forward to reading about the next climb you make….as well as you other adventures in preparing for it…but be careful tho….good writers are hard to find now days. 🙂

  2. 70% of world’s opium from Afghanistan. The other 30% from Nepal and Cambodia. Nepal is reported to be ruled by drug lords , a thuggery and with little care for it’s own population. Please comment.

  3. Thanks for your comment, Carl!

    Nepal may be politically unstable and poor, but when I’m there , I have to be reminded about that because there is so much beauty to get distracted by. Nepal is home to over 40 ethnic groups, making it a country or rare cultural diversity. Newari architecture in Bhaktapur is spectacular; the area called Boudhanath somehow contains more light than any other man-made and -populated space I’ve seen; the chants of the Buddhist monks at Tengboche monastery are so loud and deep, they threaten to wake the dead; the mountains of the Everest region dwarf you to the point where you are hardly visible even to yourself. What is politics and statistics to that? Reality? I’m not sure.

    On a sidenote, I have visited many other politically troubled areas and have noticed that a bit of common sense and a brief chat with local people gives you an idea of where is ‘safe’ to go and what is ‘safe’ to do. The definition of ‘safe’ in a third-world country will not be the same as yours or mine but you will be surprised how well it works in the context. Being respectful, careful and well-informed should keep you out of trouble almost anywhere.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s